These are Pakistani bakery-style Chicken Patties with a twist. Puff pastry is filled with creamy chicken, sprinkled with sesame seeds, and baked to golden perfection. Flaky, addictive, and delicious they are also the perfect Ramadan snack or party appetizer.
- 200 g boneless chicken boiled & shredded
- ½ onion diced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾-1 cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- puff pastry sheets as required
- sesame seeds black and white
- egg wash 1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoon milk
- In a pan melt butter and saute onion till translucent.
- Then cook the flour for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk gradually and thicken the sauce on medium-low heat. You need a thick sauce consistency.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir.
- Season the mixture with salt, black pepper, red chili flakes and white pepper. Mix and turn off heat.
- Add the coriander and cool this filling.
- Thaw puff pastry sheets and with a sharp knife cut into 6x6cm squares. Blunt knife presses the egdes and results in uneven rising of the puff pastry.
- On your baking tray, take one square of puff pastry, brush with egg wash, take 2nd square of puff pastry, brush with egg wash, add around 1-2 tablespoon of the the chicken filling. Then finally add the 3rd layer of puff pastry.
- With a fork, seal the four sides. Then give a final coating of egg wash.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds. You can use a mixture of black and white. Or whichever ones you prefer.
- Repeat the same steps for the rest of the chicken puffs/patties. Arrange them on the baking tray in a single layer and with good spacing between them.
- Refrigerate for 15 mins and meanwhile preheat the oven at 200C.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until puffed up and golden. You can open the oven door once to rotate the chicken patties to get an even colour.
- Serve hot and enjoy