Originating from the Indian subcontinent Masala Chai is an aromatic black tea that is mixed with milk and brewed together with some whole spices and ginger for a rich, warm and spicy flavor.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon loose tea
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 7 green cardamom pods
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick small
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- Grind all the spices together in a coffee grinder or with mortar and pestle. You can grind into a fine powder or keep them coarse. I prefer them coarse, so that I can strain later.
- Put all the ingredients along with the spice blend into a saucepan and bring everything to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn off the flame once boiled and leave covered for 3-4 minutes.
- Pass through a strainer to catch all the large bits and loose tea.
- Add sugar if you desire and and enjoy!