Chicken Manchurian is a very popular Indo-Chinese dish. Crispy fried chicken pieces are tossed in a sweet and savoury sauce and served alongside fried rice or noodles.
How To Make Chicken Manchurian
- MARINATE. Add all the marination ingredients to the chicken. See the recipe card at the end. Leave for 30 mins.
- DEEP-FRY. Fry the chicken in oil on medium heat till they are cooked and crispy. You can pan-fry the chicken if you don’t like deep-frying. See the heading below.
- MAKE SAUCE. Combine all the sauce ingredients in the recipe card. Chinese dishes are very quick so it’s always handy to be prepped beforehand. You can add the broth (water + stock cube) to the prepped sauce or add it to the pan later. It’s the same thing.
- START GRAVY. Toast the garlic. Then fry the bell pepper for 2 mins. The bell pepper will continue to cook in the sauce later so it’s better to leave it under-cooked or it will get mushy later. Pour the sauce and the broth (if you didn’t add to the sauce earlier). Bring to a boil and gradually add the cornflour slurry till the sauce starts to thicken. Never add the slurry all at once.
- COMBINE EVERYTHING. Add the spring onion and chicken and toss.
- SERVE & ENJOY. Put Chicken Manchurian in your dish, top with spring onion and sesame seeds.
- 500 g boneless chicken cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 green bell pepper large dice
- 2 green onions sliced
- white sesame seeds for garnish
FOR THE MARINATION
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup Chili Garlic Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken with all the marination ingredients and leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying and drop in the chicken pieces with a spoon. Fry on medium heat till thoroughly cooked. Remove on a paper towel.
- Make the sauce in a bowl and put aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add the bell pepper and fry on high heat for 2 minutes only.
- Then pour in the sauce and wait for it to bubble.
- Prepare a cornflour slurry and gradually add it to the sauce on medium heat. Stop when you reach your desired consistency. Remember the sauce will continue to thicken while cooking.
- Add the spring onions and fried chicken. Give a good toss and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and put the gravy in your serving dish.
- Garnish with spring onion and sesame sides.
- Serve with fried rice or noodles.
Add brown sugar after tasting the sauce. Some tomato ketchup brands are sweeter than others.